The Masters’ program in Microbial Technology is majorly focused on the applied aspects of microbiology in various specialized areas of science such as industry, agriculture and medicine. Microbial Technology emphasizes hands-on learning through laboratories sessions, internships, skill development programs conducted every semester.
Students will have an opportunity to take up projects either at Department or at reputed industries as well at state and central governments research organizations in the final semester. Well qualified faculty members with rich industry and research experience guide the students to excel in academics and research. Three different specializations have been offered for the program like Industrial and Food Microbiology, Plant and Agricultural Microbiology and Medical and Diagnostic Microbiology in collaboration with reputed industry experts to ensure right skill sets for students as per their interested domains.
Curriculum designed for the program is industry oriented with well-designed Hardcore and Soft core courses. MOOC / Swayam / Coursera Online Courses, short term certification courses and workshops are offered to equip the students with skill sets required for employability and research.
Specialization in Industrial & food Microbiology
Specialization in Agriculture & Environmental Microbiology
Specialization in Medical and Diagnostic Microbiology
PEO-1: To train the students in basic and specialised areas of microbiology such as Industrial Microbiology, Medical Microbiology, Agriculture & Environmental Microbiology.
PEO-2: To empower the students with necessary analytical and research skills, to nurture entrepreneurial endeavours and to prepare a competent generation of microbiologists, capable of excelling in careers of their choosing.
PEO-3: To develop microbiologists with skills to pursue careers both in academia, research and industry such as pharmaceutical, food and bioprocess industries in order to establish consultancy services and to work as entrepreneur with an ability to develop new products/processes with an attitude of lifelong learning.
Program Outcomes (POs)
After successful completion of program, the graduates will be able
1. Master of Science Knowledge-Apply the knowledge of microbiology and applied microbiology to the solution of complex biological problems.
2. Problem analysis- Identify, formulate, review research literature and analyse complex biological problems reaching substantiated conclusions using various principles of life science domain and microbiology.
3. Design/development of solutions-Design solutions for complex biological problems and design protocols or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, conservation of biodiversity, better understanding of the microorganisms and necessary tools for finding solutions of various crippling human/plant diseases with ethical, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems-Use the various protocols developed through extensive research-based knowledge and methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and provide valid and reproducible conclusions.
5. Environment and sustainability-Apply the classic and modern biological theoretical and practical knowledge gained to address societal, health, microbial and plant biodiversity studies, safety, ethical and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional upgradation of the student and society as a need for sustainable development.
6. Ethics-Apply ethical principles established by different government agencies and commit to research ethics, responsibilities and norms to undertake their current and future research and development.
7. Individual and team work-Be an independent thinker and researcher effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader of different teams, and in multidisciplinary research Institutions and Universities.
8. Communication-Communicate effectively on complex research activities with the scientific community and with society at large, as a scientist or a teacher, be well versed with scientific writing and write effective reports and design research projects, make effective presentations, and be able to defend it efficiently.
9. Project management and finance-Write good research and development projects relevant to the needs of society and environment and attract extra mural funds for himself and his team in the Institute or University from various funding agencies and manage R&D projects effectively.
10. Life-long learning-Apply the discipline, ethics and knowledge obtained to engage in independent and life-long learning in their respective fields of interest wherever they go for further higher studies or jobs.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
After successful completion of the programme, the graduates shall be able to
1. Understand about environmental microbiology, food & diary Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology and many other technologies involved in microbiology industries and academic institutions.
2. Provide a strong foundation for a career working skills with project management, business development or venture capital within the microbiology, agriculture, food, environment, medical technology or related industries.
3. Utilise the skills to design, perform and analyse a research problem which has a social relevance and outcome with acquired skills of presentation and scientific writing.
There are wide range of career options for MSc Microbial Technology program in various domains of life sciences. The career opportunities include teaching, Scientist, Industries, Research Organizations, State and Central Universities, Agriculture Universities, Hospitals, Diagnostic laboratories, Nutritionist, Project Assistant, Research Assistant, Research Analyst, Clinical Research Associates, Teaching Assistant, Lecturer and Business startups.
Collaborations with Research Institutes / Industries for projects/Internships.
B.Sc. graduates with any Life Science subject B.Sc. Agricultural Sciences., securing at least 55% (40% in the case of candidates belonging to SC/ST) marks in aggregate of all optional subjects from any recognized University/Institute or any other qualification recognized as equivalent there to are eligible.
+91-90211 90211 080-46966966
MSc Microbial Technology
|Indian / SAARC Nationals||1000|